Problem exporting recordings to a different PC

General talk about ARGUS TV
Zorg

Problem exporting recordings to a different PC

Post by Zorg » Thu May 30, 2013 1:50 am

Hi:

I'm trying to export some of the recordings I have in the PC where I have the Mediaportal server to a client PC in the home network. The disks of the server are almost full.

Unfortunately it doesn't work. It does copy the files in the client PC but the original ones remain in the PC server. If I delete them, and try later to import the recordings copied in the client it doesn't work either.

It appears the sign ? in the list of Recorded Program and it's impossible to play the file. If I choose "Open containing Folder" the path is right and it opens the file in the PC client in the home network, but without playing it.

I would appreciate very much some help.
Than you in advance

andrewNZ

Re: Problem exporting recordings to a different PC

Post by andrewNZ » Thu May 30, 2013 3:06 am

Does the share on the Client PC have the proper share permissions? (Full access for everyone)
You'll want to make sure the firewall isn't interfering as well.

Also, are you aware you can just change the recording path to another share and continue as normal.
I wouldn't recommend recording to another machine though, there's too much that can go wrong.
You can fix it, or you can fix it until it's broken. I usually choose the latter.

Server: WHS 2011. Hauppauge HVR 2200. Avermedia A835. ArgusTV Server. EPG Collector.
Clients: Win7 64bit. MediaPortal. ArgusTV Client. StreamedMP.

Zorg

Post by Zorg » Thu May 30, 2013 7:24 pm

Thank you for your answer.
Yes, the share has full permissions.

The thing is I exported succesfully ten recordings (of the german serie Tatort), that's to say, the recordings where copied to the client, the original ones were deleted from the server, and I could plsy them using the argus tv console (or the argus plugin integrated in MPortal).
But those were the only ones I could export without problems.
Now, it's always the same: the recordings are copied in the client PC, but they remain also in the server PC, if I delete them from the server, they disappear for ever.

I've tried to upload here some file related to the ones I exported succesfully (the Tatort serie) but the only file I found has extension arg and I can't upload it here, and anyway I don't think it has valuable information about this issue.

As you said, it's not a good idea to put the recording path in a client PC.

I don't know. May be the only solution if i want to make space in the disk is to cut the recordings from the server PC and copy them into the PC client. I would prefer they remained in the list of recordings, but anyway I could wacht them through the "videos" option in MPortal.

Thank you if you have any suggestion.

andrewNZ

Post by andrewNZ » Thu May 30, 2013 11:18 pm

This is yet another feature that I don't use, so I know very little about.

The "?" icon means the recording is missing.

The .arg files contain the information about the recording, and should (in theory) allow you to properly import that recording again.

Perhaps you could try exporting a recording (for testing, choose one that doesn't matter), being sure to tick the box to create the ".arg" file and then import it again. That should work.
You can fix it, or you can fix it until it's broken. I usually choose the latter.

Server: WHS 2011. Hauppauge HVR 2200. Avermedia A835. ArgusTV Server. EPG Collector.
Clients: Win7 64bit. MediaPortal. ArgusTV Client. StreamedMP.

Zorg

Post by Zorg » Fri May 31, 2013 3:41 pm

I did what you said:
"Perhaps you could try exporting a recording (for testing, choose one that doesn't matter), being sure to tick the box to create the ".arg" file and then import it again. That should work."

It doesn't work completely. The recording appears as able to be imported. Then I clik to import it, but in the console it appears with the ? icon, although the path is correct; if I choose "open containing folder", it opens the folder in the PC client in the network, but you can't play it from the console because of the ? icon.

May be I could try to have a look at the database, to see if I can correct somethng manually.
But I don't know if that's easy to do.

Is it possible to look in the database for the title of the recording I have exported/imported and see If I can change some data in order that the console find the right path?

Zorg

Post by Zorg » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:48 pm

Well,
I've found out that the export works if you do it to some other disk that is in the same PC.
If the disk where you export the file is in a different PC, a LAN PC, it recognises the path, as I said before, i.e. you can open the folder, but it doesn't play the file, because it has the ? icon.

Is there a way to fix this? Some way to make believe the program that the disk is in the same PC?

I'm very interested in that, because I have a lot of recordings I would like to keep, and they are very well listed, with all the information etc, in the Argus Console. I have to export them out of the PC where they are now, because of lack of space, but I don't want they to disappear from the Argus Console, as it happens now when I export them to a different PC.

I would appreciate very much some help.
Perhaps it's just a matter of create an UCN path in the same PC that links somehow to the disk in the other PC, as if this one were in the same PC... If that's possible

Zorg

Post by Zorg » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:07 pm

Well, that's silly. I lost some hours trying to solve this and as a matter of fact there was no problem in the end.
The Argus Console showed the question mark ? in the recording exported to the LAN PC. I couldn't play it from the console and I thought the file was unplayable. That's why I didn't bother to have a look in MediaPortal to see if the file appeared. Today I've seen that the recording is perfectly playable from MP, despite the ? icon in the console.