HDHomerun Prime: Does Argus TV support encrypted channels?

General talk about ARGUS TV
aperry

HDHomerun Prime: Does Argus TV support encrypted channels?

Post by aperry » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:26 am

Hi all, I'm looking for a little help here. Does Argus TV support encrypted channels which are "copy freely" when using the HDHomerun Prime?

A little background: I've been running for several months with Argus TV and XBMC using an HDHomerun Dual (not Prime). However recently my provider (Comcast) informed me that they will be encrypting my channels starting today. So I did some research and purchased an HDHomerun Prime and configured it last weekend. Everything worked great with the Prime. However, today I believe the channels became encrypted and they no longer tune in XBMC. When trying to play a channel, I get a popup message stating "Scrambled Channel". I've tried re-scanning and re-mapping, and of course reloading the EPG data in XBMC, but I get the same error each time. Argus does find the services. They also seeom to play fine inside of the HDHomerun app (which uses VLC).

So, before I spend too much more time on this....*should* it work? According to the HDHomerun tuner info, the channels that I am trying to tune are "unrestricted" for the CCI value.

If it should work, are there any tips? I've configured all of the settings on the HDHomerun Prime wiki page.

Thanks in advance.

aperry

Re: HDHomerun Prime: Does Argus TV support encrypted channe

Post by aperry » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:29 pm

As an update, I now have the HDHomerun Prime working with NextPVR and XBMC. I'm only mentioning this because I think it validates that there are no issues with the HDHomerun Prime config. I would still prefer to use Argus TV if possible. I'm interested in any suggestions here. Thanks.

andrewNZ

Post by andrewNZ » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:12 am

I think it should work. ARGUS TV definitely can decrypt encrypted channels, but I have no experience with either encryption or the HDHR gear, so I'm really no help :(
You can fix it, or you can fix it until it's broken. I usually choose the latter.

Server: WHS 2011. Hauppauge HVR 2200. Avermedia A835. ArgusTV Server. EPG Collector.
Clients: Win7 64bit. MediaPortal. ArgusTV Client. StreamedMP.

aperry

Post by aperry » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:52 pm

Ok, thanks Andrew, I appreciate the info. I'll keep looking around for more configuration settings to try.

TMSpack

Post by TMSpack » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:08 pm

I am having exactly the same problem! I haven't checked channel by channel, but it looks like the only channels I can get in Argus are the unencrypted ones. :( The Homerun Prime will display them all in its' interface. Did you ever get a solution to this issue?
:?: :!:
My system:
Win7 machine running new install of Argus
New HD Homerun Prime - Works properly
Verizon FIOS service with Cablecard

pkscout

Post by pkscout » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:27 pm

In my experience no. As soon as you stick a cable card into the HDHomeRun Prime, Argus can no longer communicate with it, even to get the copy freely channels. I use my HDHomeRun Prime just to record the clear QAM channels, and with no cable card in the Prime that works fine.

TMSpack

Post by TMSpack » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:42 pm

Argus TV can definitely communicate with the HDHomerun Prime with a cable card. It sees the tumers and when it scans, I can use the HDHomerun utilities to see it changing channels. So - Communication is fine. When I scan, the unencrypted channels show up with a proper description, but the encrypted channels only show up as "SID:<xxxx>" where <xxxx> is a number up to 5 digits. When I try to play those channels, it says the channel is scrambled and refuses to show it. I have searched this forum high and low, and I see posts that say it won't work with encrypted channels and I see posts that say it definitely will! :?

Oh - And I saw the wiki page on the HDHomerun. I followed all of those steps except for the advanced card setup, which I will try tonight. I have also tried scanning with all available choices (ATSC, 3 versions of QAM) with more or less the same result.

Thanks for the help!

TMSpack

Post by TMSpack » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:13 am

I did a bit more research tonight. Looking at the logs and comparing them to what I can see in the HDHomerun app, it looks like it is missing not only encrypted channels, but also some that are marked Free to Air. Something is definitely wrong. Any Help? I can post screen shots or whatever log info you want to see.

rudig

Post by rudig » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:00 pm

Isn't à card sharing setup with mdapi filter the way to go for you guys?
Works here already for about two years together with 4tr and later on with argus (4tr is the predesessor of argus)

Regard

TMSpack

Post by TMSpack » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:14 pm

Thanks, Rudig - I am not very familiar with mdapi, but I will check it out.