...support for Windows 10?

General talk about ARGUS TV
Christoph21x

Some initial hickups with Windows 10

Post by Christoph21x » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:09 am

Dear All

As promised, I want to give you a feedback after upgrading all my servers & clients to Windows 10.

First of all: most of you won't encounter any problem - especially not in a single seat-installation.

I had 3 issues - which lead also to a permanent boot loop on the main server :o - but only one of them is directly related to Argus.
  • Some autostart service entries are marked as such but are actually not startet. Please check after installation, whether all your as "automatic start" marked entries under "Services" really are started. This affected on my multi-server setup two Argus-related issues:
    • Argus Recorder-Server (recorder-only, 2nd server): Argus recorder wasn't started. Simple solution: change the setting within the services to "manually started", save it, then change it back to what it was before and save it again. If it still won't start, set it to "automatic (delayed start)" - this solved it finally for me
    • LightsOut (Power-saver): a simple re-install (without prior uninstall) solved the problem
    • In general: if you have services, that won't start, proceed as described under Argus Recorder above: change the services' settings to "manually started", save it, then change it back to what it was before and save it again. If it still won't start, set it to "automatic (delayed start)" and try again.
  • Outdated drivers for older hardware: my main server went to a permanent boot loop after upgrading. The reason was my older DVB-C cards of Digital Everywhere (FloppyDTV and FireDTV): those drivers are still "beta for Win7" (originally designed for Vista). They have NO digital signature and the check has to be disabled. Fortunately possible from the restore section within Win10-Boot failure checks. ONLY select THIS action, no further action needed for Win 10 to work properly with the cards.
  • The same issue (drivers FloppeDTV / FireDTV) prevented my 2nd Recorder (only)-Server from detecting the DVB cards (thus: no driver) - but the PC started as normal. Also here, I had to disable signature checking. To deactivate digital signature checking from within Windows, please proceed the following steps:
    • Open the command prompt by clicking Start Menu, type in "cmd" (without quotes), right-click on the found cmd.exe and select "run as administrator)
    • Type in the command "bcdedit.exe /set nointegritychecks ON" (without quotes) - it should return that the command was performed successfully
    • Reboot the system
    • In your device manager, you'll find now the cards detected without drivers.
    • Get the drivers and UNPACK them manually in a temporary folder - DO NOT install them through the setup, this will fail. And: you would have to uninstall first - waste of time :D
    • Right-click and select "change settings" - "install drivers" and "select from hard drive/system".
    • Select the Win7-drivers out of the package. If you only find a Vista folder, you have an outdated driver package. Select the folder of your architecture (x86 / 64x) and hit ok - it will install the drivers.
    • Reboot and you're done - your Recorder Console (or TVServer) will be able again to deal with your cards
Maybe this helps the one or other of you...

Kind greetz - Chris

PS: I'll add the description to Wiki
"One must still have chaos within oneself, to give birth to a dancing star." (F. Nietzsche)

fleetwood

Re: ...support for Windows 10?

Post by fleetwood » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:39 pm

I haven't updated my server yet (runs still with Windows 7 Pro) but I've some problems with Scheduler console after updating my client PC to Windows 10.

The situation: I start scheduler console, view Electronic Program Guide, select any program to "Record", "Record Daily" or "Record Weekly" with right mouse button. Result: Error dialog with "One or more errors occurred.". There will be no error if I select "Record Any Time" but if I check any of "On Date", "Starting Around" or "Starting Between" check boxes, there will be that error dialog. I've tried different date and locale settings, but nothing has helped. :cry:

facted

Post by facted » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:40 pm

The only issue I've experienced is I can no longer access my argus scheduler remotely (or even on my local lan/wifi). Windows 10 firewall is off and I've forwarded the port 42080. Was working fine in windows 7 previously. Any suggestions?

jboeren

Post by jboeren » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:31 pm

Can you access the scheduler local on the argus pc?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

Nevermind

Post by Nevermind » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:42 pm

I also could not access Argus via the web after upgrading to Windows 10.
Trying to get access via localhost:42080 revealed the following error message:

NT AUTHORITY/NETWORK SERVICE does not have write access to 'C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\Temporary ASP.NET Files

I fixed this by following the instructions here: http://wiki.infosol.com/infoburst/index ... ite_access
to add write permissions for NETWORK SERVICE to the folder.

Hope this might help others in the same boat.

Other than that small hiccup Argus on Windows 10 seems to be working fine (Argus 2.2.2)

elsmandino

Post by elsmandino » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:12 pm

The one problem I have noticed with Windows 10 is that my standalone server has problems sleeping now - this has only started since upgrading and the server was faultless before.

If often come home from work and the server is sitting there idling, when it should have turned itself off hours ago.

A quick restart seems to temporarily fix things but it happens again days latter.

Christoph21x

Post by Christoph21x » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:06 pm

Hi els!

First of all you should check drivers, especially if you use a Realtek LAN card. Use Realtek not Win drivers provided by Win10. Many user report strange wake-ups (out of S5/off status) - disable in properties of LAN card wake on net pattern (on by default. This wakes your machine from every fart on the local net :D

2nd - do you use a Virus scanner? Here McAfee had conflicts with the default enabled Win Defender now. If you use other than defender, deisable it - it has strange effects. How to permanently disable Defender: https://www.freeware.de/download/nodefender (run from an admin account!)

Let us know - I have many strange effects here since upgrade - not stable anymore concerning recordings :(

Greetz - Chris
elsmandino wrote:The one problem I have noticed with Windows 10 is that my standalone server has problems sleeping now - this has only started since upgrading and the server was faultless before.

If often come home from work and the server is sitting there idling, when it should have turned itself off hours ago.

A quick restart seems to temporarily fix things but it happens again days latter.
"One must still have chaos within oneself, to give birth to a dancing star." (F. Nietzsche)

elsmandino

Post by elsmandino » Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:01 pm

Hi Chris,

Thanks very much for that - unfortunately, I was still having problems after trying the below and decided that a fresh install of Windows 10 could perhaps fix things (rather than my upgrade from Windows 7).

I reinstalled it and, as you said below, updated the Realtek LAN drivers (which were quite out of date) and the server sleeps perfectly now.

HOWEVER - another, more irritating, problem has arisen. One of my Hauppauge tuner cards seems not to be working now. I have two (HVR-2200 and Nova-HD-S2) but only the HVR-2200 seems to be recognised under device manager. This is really strange as it was working fine before - how can it work from an upgraded version of Windows 10 but not with a fresh install?

Christoph21x

Post by Christoph21x » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:47 pm

Dear elsmandino

I guess this comes rather from the drivers. Potentially you got MS drivers enabled now.
Look at the manufacturers website and see if they provide Win10 drivers. I´m quite sure, that installing them will solve the issue. (It was here the same - all devices recognized but only one worked at a time - caused by firewire drivers which were outdated (still Win7).
Upgrading: Win10 tries to update drivers, if they don´t fit exactly, it remains with the Win7 drivers. Other than most of the Win8-drivers they may cause problems. A fresh install, Win10 looks for device classes (I guess)...

Hope that this could help. Try for as many devices As possible the manufacturer Win10 drivers, if available.

Greetz - Chris

elsmandino

Post by elsmandino » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:58 pm

Hi,

Having tried everything to get the tuner to work, I called Hauppauge to actually check that it would work with Windows 10.

I was told that it would but only if you do the following:

1. Do a complete reinstall of Windows 10 without any tuner cards in the PC.
2. Wait until there are no more updates available.
3. Add the tuner cards and let windows add the drivers add the appropriate drivers.

My HTPC is as solid now as when it was running on W7.

Hopefully, this might be of use to others with similar hardware problems.

Thanks again for your help Chris - much appreciated.