Missed, missing recording.

General talk about ARGUS TV
wayloncovil

Missed, missing recording.

Post by wayloncovil » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:24 am

Hi, everyone.

This has happened to me twice so I thought I'd ask for your input.

Yesterday, I had trouble starting the scheduler and recorder. Instead of starting right up, it provided me the screen which asks you what port your service is running on. I clicked connect on both the scheduler and recorder and neither of them connected.

I checked the services and all 3 services were running.

So, I rebooted.

I the launched the scheduler and it started right up.

I went to check my recorded programs and noticed that a program that I set to record at 7 PM was not there. I looked around in the scheduler to see if it showed a missed recording but I didn't see anything.

I'm guessing that it didn't record because something wasn't running correctly for Argus.

1. Why do you think my recording didn't record? What wasn't working with Argus and how can I fix it?

2. Any reason you can think of why my missed recording isn't showing up somewhere? Am I looking in the wrong place?

Thanks!

wayloncovil

Re: Missed, missing recording.

Post by wayloncovil » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:06 am

Hi, everyone.

I wanted to provide an update.

I logged in to my computer today and noticed that the scheduler service wasn't running.

I restarted it and searched through the log and found the following errors:
2:18:37
The ARGUS TV Scheduler service depends on the SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS) service which failed to start because of the following error:
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.
2:18:20
The SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS) service failed to start due to the following error:
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.
2:18:19
A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS) service to connect.
2:17:44
The ARGUS TV Recorder service entered the running state.

Going back further I saw that the machine had recently rebooted.

I found a few scripts that I could run that would check to see if the scheduler service is running and if it isn't, it would start it.

Thoughts?

In the meantime, I changed the service to Automatic (Delayed Start). Thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Christoph21x

Post by Christoph21x » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:31 am

Hi there Way!

Right thing to put some services on "delayed start".
Just recently I observe many cases of what you describe here on the forums.

As I wrote recently:
I recommend to set Argus Recorder & scheduler to "delayed start".
As well as all the services like Argus' Webservice, messaging - avoid them at all, if possible / not needed.
With Win10 and the massively complex newer SQL servers, it gets hard to predict the behaviour of your system.

--> I went back to Win7 and MySQL 5.6 (MySQL 5.6.x would already have done it) and delay the start of TVService (MediaPortal server), Argus Recorder (Argus TV server) and Scheduler.
You might even "tune" your system a bit by delaying your virus scanner in start-up (depending on the scanner you use; McAfee delays by itself, for example)

GReetz - Chris
"One must still have chaos within oneself, to give birth to a dancing star." (F. Nietzsche)

wayloncovil

Post by wayloncovil » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:58 pm

Chris,

Nice to seem I'm on the right track.

Just to confirm...

Is it ok for me to Disable the Argus TV Messenger Service? I'm assuming that the only thing that it really does is talk to Windows live messaging. I don't use windows live messaging.

I'm actually just using Argus TV scheduler to watch my shows. Not using a front end at this point. Now that Windows doesn't have a true PVR solution, I wonder if someone would be interested in making a plug in for Windows Media Player.

And to go even more off topic...
The .TS file format is capable of containing quite a bit of meta-data.

It seems to me that if Argus and similar programs put meta-data into the .ts file itself, other applications (Kodi, Windows Media Player, Emby, etc.) could simply access the file share where recordings are stored and load data about the show directly from the .TS file. This would mean that they wouldn't have to access the recording program (Like Argus) at all. (I'm of course NOT talking about live TV with this concept - just recorded programs.) This seems like it would reduce or eliminate the need of plugins, etc.

Thanks!

Christoph21x

Post by Christoph21x » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:19 am

Hi Waylon - thanks for your elaborate post - brilliant!
wayloncovil wrote:Just to confirm...
Is it ok for me to Disable the Argus TV Messenger Service? I'm assuming that the only thing that it really does is talk to Windows live messaging. I don't use windows live messaging.
CORRECT.
In addition, I would recommend, that during installation, one selects "customized setup" and deselects both, the Webserver and Messenger, if not needed. If installed, you can safely deactivate both services.
wayloncovil wrote:I'm actually just using Argus TV scheduler to watch my shows. Not using a front end at this point. Now that Windows doesn't have a true PVR solution, I wonder if someone would be interested in making a plug in for Windows Media Player.
This could be a job for our user Kay Diefendahl, who developed the plugin for the Win Media Center. I agree, that would be great! Would you want to...? ;-)
wayloncovil wrote:The .TS file format is capable of containing quite a bit of meta-data.
It seems to me that if Argus and similar programs put meta-data into the .ts file itself, other applications (Kodi, Windows Media Player, Emby, etc.) could simply access the file share where recordings are stored and load data about the show directly from the .TS file. This would mean that they wouldn't have to access the recording program (Like Argus) at all. (I'm of course NOT talking about live TV with this concept - just recorded programs.) This seems like it would reduce or eliminate the need of plugins, etc.
THis is absolutely correct.
You can do so with Kodi for example:
- leave out the PVR plugin
- add a media directory that reflects the recording folder - and there you are :-) (that's how I'm using it. I can start looking shows immediately after they started recording. Except: comskip is (on my system) not run immediately but after the show is completed - but even comskip is capable of doing a "live scan" for commercials.

I wish you a very nice Sunday, Waylon!
Greetz - Chris
"One must still have chaos within oneself, to give birth to a dancing star." (F. Nietzsche)