Argus on Unraid

General talk about ARGUS TV
tompa

Argus on Unraid

Post by tompa » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:00 pm

Hi,

I'm playing with Unraid for the first time and wanted to test how Argus will run on it (Win10 VM).
Got it working with USB-dongle TV-cards but no PCI-cards.

Another thing that bothers me is that the unc path. I'm setting up a share in Unraid that Argus seems to accept, but it still seems to be a problem with that share when starting timeshift o recordings. Working ok if I'm using a VM share instead.

Anyone has some experience with this?
/tompa

Hominidae

Re: Argus on Unraid

Post by Hominidae » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:17 pm

..I can only guess, haven't used unraid for quite a while...still have two licences of an older version lying unemployed on my desk.

Unraid v6 is based on KVM...PCI-passthrough needs to work for handing over the PCI(e) based TV-Cards...you need a server board (and CPU) with vt-d support.
This is not a thing that lies in unRAID...you need your hardware to support it.
Passing on a USB contrller or device is another thing and will work in desktp hardware as well, although it might put a lot of strain/load to your system.

As for timeshift und UNC....normally unRAID will spin down disks when idle..I can only guess, that this might cause a glitch.
In a VM, there might be some extra buffers in between or the disk is simply spinning already at that time.
...also the use of the USB based TV-Card might simply create too much strain, if your system has not a lot of headroom (memory and CPU) left.