Service scan returning odd results

Installing and setting up ARGUS TV
Priapist

Service scan returning odd results

Post by Priapist » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:13 am

Hi all,

I'm currently trying to setup an Argus TV server, and I'm having some strange issues with service scans. I'm based in Tuggeranong, Australia and my local stations are detailed here. I can also get a faint but mostly unusable signal from here.

I have a HDHomerun HDHR3-DT, and I can view all channels successfully using other clients (WMC, NextPVR, HDHomerun View). In Argus, I've configured the "cards" as per this wiki article. However, when I scan for services using Argus Recording Console, I don't get any consistent or usable results.

What happens most often, is that it scans a known frequency (with offsets and NIT enabled) and even though the indicators show adequate signal strength and quality, it doesn't detect any new or updated services. Occasionally it will detect a service - on an entirely different frequency, however that works. So for example, I'll scan 620.5MHz, and it will detect services on 191.5MHz. On very rare occasions, it will detect a service as expected. If I open the HDHomerun Config GUI, I can see that the tuner is streaming to the IP of my server during the scans, that the frequencies and services correlate, and that the signal strength is ~80% and quality is 100%. I've ensured that the tuners are not in use anywhere else on the network.

So has anyone else seen anything like this, or can anyone offer any guidance on how to resolve this?

Christoph21x

Re: Service scan returning odd results

Post by Christoph21x » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:21 am

Hey Priapist

I don't know the HDHomeRun card itself but from what you describe, this can also be a tuning problem due to missing (but maybe needed) tuning parameters.

You describe, that you use the NIT scanning parameters (did you activate the NIT-checkbox at the bottom of the freq' list before hitting "scan"?)
If so... the NIT scanning algorith of Argus is not the best one - as it simply takes over the value it gets without re-checking or scanning the returned transponders. We found very often among users, that the returned NIT-transponders weren't the latest ones..

I guess you're using a cable connection?
If so, the wy 'round would be to set up a decent description as part of the cables.xml tuning definition.
To create this, please refer to the Wiki article http://www.argus-tv.com/wiki/index.php? ... Parameters
If you can't get through, please drop a message in the thread viewtopic.php?f=63&t=3924

I don't know if I'm right with my assumptions, but could be...

Greetz - Chris
"One must still have chaos within oneself, to give birth to a dancing star." (F. Nietzsche)

dasco

Post by dasco » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:09 pm

try turning off your firewall and retry scanning. This allowed me to find some but not all services.

Fire_TV

Post by Fire_TV » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:30 pm

I have a similar issue. HDHR3-DT.

Followed the setup instructions exactly. Have disabled the virus checker and the firewall. I have tried all options in "BDA Compatability mode" in HDHomeRUn Setup.

On the first scan it found SBS and a couple of associated channels but nothing else.

I have a strong aerial signal that other software picks up.

Argus indicates almost 100% singal strength and signal quality.

All assistance welcome.

Fire_TV

Post by Fire_TV » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:10 am

HDHomeRun

I thought I might post some items that I found useful.

Solutions related to: HDHomeRun, HDHR3-DT, Missing channels, Scan not finding anything, NextPVR

I have a HDHR3-DT that would not find channels when scanning. I tried a number of PVR programs on a number of computers with and without firewalls. After reading a lot of posts, installations on separate machines and other tests I have two things that may assist others in resolving this or similar issues.

You can run the HDHomerun Config GUI application and the Argus or similar scanning program side by side. When you scan for channels you should see the HSHomeRun config program respond with a signal strength and a target IP address of the machine its trying to talk to. If your HDHomerun does not show a signal strength and signal quality bar when your scanning program scans a valid frequency then they are not talking to each other. This will let you focus your problem resolution.

If they are talking but your application does not find any channels then check your firewall. Specifically when you open the ports in your firewall make sure you allow for the correct protocol. I found by default on Windows installations that the although the programs were allowed it was not until I specified either "Any" protocols or added in the specific ones I needed through the Windows Firewall that it worked. The simplest solution is to open Control Panel -> System and Security -> Windows Firewall -> Advanced Settings -> Inbound Rules then select or add the relevant program. Right click and open properties, Choose Protocols and Ports and set the Protocol to "Any".

Hope this helps.

dasco

Post by dasco » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:31 am

I was able to pick up all my local Services from Toowoomba and Brisbane Services by Entering the HDHomeRun Setup and on the configuration tab selecting MediaPortal under the BDA Compatibility Mode.
Why it works i do not know? But i now have a complete list of services. I also selected the "any" Protocol within the Windows Firewall as suggested by FIRE_TV.

mikeyman

Post by mikeyman » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:56 pm

I'm running Win 8.1 x64, latest HDHomeRUn HDHR4-2DT in Australia. Latest NextPVR software 3.4.8 latest as of April. But NextPVR does not seem to support HDHR4 series. Couls not get channles to scan anything. Tried Wirewall setting opening up, tried the FIRE_TV instructions for 'Any' on Firewall port protocols. Nothing worked. Epic fail. Want to move onto Argus, but apparently that fails too, see this article from July 2015: http://www.missingremote.com/review/sil ... work-tuner

Seems if you are on Windows, nothing currently works as a Kodi backend using HDHR4 series. Anyone got this to work with current versions ?