HDHomeRun config and setup

Installing and setting up ARGUS TV
Danx

HDHomeRun config and setup

Post by Danx » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:31 pm

I'm having real difficulty getting my HDHomeRun to work with Argus TV...

So here is where I am at:
  • Argus is installed
  • HDHomeRun is installed and working (HDHomeRun VIEW streams the channels)
  • I can see the HDHR tuners in the recorder console, I've changed the advanced settings as per the wiki article
  • I've added an additional section to the Terrestrial.xml for Sutton Coldfield transmitter as I got bored of waiting for a complete scan. I confirmed the frequencies were correct as I can see them tuned in the HDHR Config GUI when HDHR view is running.
  • I've added the entries to the firewall config, not that it matters as I've disabled the firewall now just to be sure it's not that.
  • I do have some channels working, but there are only a few and not the ones I was after..
I'm either doing it wrong or it doesn't work with the HDHR, I can see a few forum entries for tuning issues with the HDHR but a lot are unanswered, figured I'd give posting a go, might get lucky with someone that's got it working.

Anyways, thanks in advance, hope someone has the answers :)

Arthur Dent

Re: HDHomeRun config and setup

Post by Arthur Dent » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:32 am

Is your issue that when you scan for channels from within ArgusTV, that you end up not seeing any channels under services? Even though you can see that it is discovering them during the scan?

Because that is what is happening to me. The first time I did a scan for channels in ArgusTV, it seemed to be finding everything as expected, and I thought all was well, until it finished and I went to services to find it empty. Then, subsequent scans would claim it found nothing, but I believe this is only because ArgusTV thinks that there are no "new" services to be found.

But, I found that if I keep doing scans, that it will sometime find a channel. Right now I have a half dozen or so, but I should have over 30. The ones that it finds will play, but I cannot figure out why it does not seem to show what it finds in services.

I have been messing with the "BDA compatibility mode in the HDhomerun setup, but only because I am not entirely sure what that does or what it should be set for. I originally had it set to 'for the record' and I started changing it to others and doing scans. It was during this that I found some channels. So i am not sure if it had anything to do with changing this setting, or if it was just because of the repeated scans.

I will keep reading, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Setup=
Dell OptiPlex 9020
Windows 7 Pro 64bit
ArgusTV 2.3
HDhomerun HDHR-US firmware: 20150406
SQL express 2014 64bit
C++ 2010 x86 and x64
firewall disabled

Arthur Dent

Post by Arthur Dent » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:46 am

Well, maybe I have this working after all. Basically, I just kept scanning and rescanning for services in ArgusTV. Just when I would almost be ready to give up...boink...another channel would be found. (yep, that's the sound it makes)
I did not mess with the HDhomerun setup utility at all. I did play around a little with the advanced settings of the tuners, which is to say that I bumped up the time for a couple of the settings. But I honestly don't think that it made any difference. I think it was just my perseverance. I unchecked all of the channels and then checked only the ones that the HDhomerun scan found. Then, each time a channel was found, I would click the back button, uncheck the found channel, and scan again.

So, here in my area, near St Louis, I found 8, 24, 26, 31, 35, 39, 43, 47, and 51 for a total of 30 channels. PBS was the last one to be discovered, and the most important for my 3 year old too. :)

Now I can continue with mapping the channels and getting the order setup correctly. Oh, and I need to setup the utility I use for EPG. I have been running ArgusTV for a few years now on another PC, a Precision 390 using a pair of Pinnacle PCTV PCI cards. My new PC does not have standard PCI slots and I had the HDhomerun sitting around from an old Woot purchase, so I was going to be upset if I could not get it working. Would throw a big wrench into my plans.

I will post again to confirm that everything is actually working properly.

Arthur Dent

Post by Arthur Dent » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:02 pm

So I got the services mapped. I can start a stream and view it in VLC. I can then take that RTSP address and play it from another computer. So I know that things are working in ArgusTV. I could not get a stream to play in KODI however. It would act like it was about to play, but you would see the buffer window open at teh top of the screen and it would sit at 0% and not move. I did not get a chance to look into the issue, so hopefully it will turn out to be something easy.

But, I think that the issue with the HDhomerun and ArgusTV is essentially resolved. I am not happy with how I had to get all of the channels. It does not leave me feeling warm and fuzzy. I should not have to scan and rescan for channels a hundred times in order to find everything.

But, I hope this helps someone else. If you think you have done everything correctly, and your scan does not detect any channels, but...you can see the signal and quality meters go green when it is scanning what you know to be a valid channel. Then I would suggest that you just keep rescanning and see if it eventually finds a channel. If it does, then repeat until it finds them all.

I welcome any advice from someone who may know more about this phenomenon.