EPG cells empty for one channel

Access your ARGUS TV system from your sofa using MediaPortal (http://www.team-mediaportal.com/)
tomtj

EPG cells empty for one channel

Post by tomtj » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:10 am

Hello All,
I am having trouble with one of my channels populating out in my epg. Currently I have a about a days worth of listings, (from some prior attempts). But listings go out for 14 days for the other channels. My provider is schedules direct, and I have eliminated them as a possible bug, because the station populates out on a different machine that I run on. I really have a lot of confusion surrounding the channels and services in Argus, and the relationships to the MP (I'm running 1.4), channels. To get things going I just keep hammering away until I get some results, but my technique resembles blind luck at times. I'm sure I deleted this station from someplace in one of these fits but I've tried to set everything right. The linkage does seem to be in place between Argus and MP, because I can tune the station in and watch programs, it is only the epg that is troublesome and only for this one station. I checked the external id in the guide channels, and it matches up right with the Schedules Direct table for this station. I have set the channel name so it matches the Argus TV Scheduler console, under the "channels", to what is in the channels in MP. Fundamentally this config is sound, it is only the EPG populating for the one channel that is a problem, all other stations are fine. So there you have it, I've got about two days from now until my pickle gets so bad that I'll be watching live tv rather than miss some episodes, (that seems so wrong to me, after a good five years of avid HTPC usage.)

So ... I really do appreciate any assistance you all might suggest.

andrewNZ

Re: EPG cells empty for one channel

Post by andrewNZ » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:40 am

Some questions to help fill in the picture.
1) You're using MediaPortal TV Server as your Recorder, is that correct? (I'm assuming it is from here on)
2) Does the epg populate properly in the ARGUS TV Scheduler Console?
3) What do you use to collect the EPG from Schedules Direct?

A little bit on how (I think) it all works. (I got a bit carried away)
1) In MediaPortal TV Server, linking channels only provides ARGUS TV with information about what channels MediaPortal can tune, nothing else.
2) ARGUS TV is responsible for the EPG you see in MediaPortal. There are no MediaPortal settings that will affect this. If the ARGUS TV EPG populates properly, the MediaPortal EPG will work properly.
3) In the ARGUS TV Scheduler Console, open "Channels". This page will allow you to map the correct "Channel" with the correct EPG Data. Make sure you have no duplicate channels or that might screw you up.

The whole channels thing can get a bit confusing, but there is a method to it, and it provides amazing flexibility.
Keep in mind, the broadcast stream is just a continuous stream of data, there are no markers saying when things start and end. To know that, you need EPG data which acts as a kind of map. Without EPG data the broadcast stream is still available, you just cant pick out particular portions of it.

What MediaPortal TV Server refers to as Channels, ARGUS TV Recorder would refer to as "Services". Knowing that, if you check out this wiki page, in particular the last section, it might help you understand.

The guts of it is this. At the core of ARGUS TV are "Channels". It links "Services" (what the tuner card tunes), and "EPG Channel" data (the map for what the tuner card tunes) to it's "Channels". When you ask it to view or record a show, it tells the "Recorder" (in this case MediaPortal) to tune that portion of the broadcast stream.

I hope I didn't confuse things more :D
You can fix it, or you can fix it until it's broken. I usually choose the latter.

Server: WHS 2011. Hauppauge HVR 2200. Avermedia A835. ArgusTV Server. EPG Collector.
Clients: Win7 64bit. MediaPortal. ArgusTV Client. StreamedMP.

tomtj

Post by tomtj » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:24 pm

Andrew,
Thanks for the quick response. In answer to your questions;
1) That's right I am using MediaPortal as my recorder.
2) The epg does not properly populate in the Argus guide. (it looks the same as MP)
3) I collect the guide data with TvGuideImporter.

I'm going to digest this a little bit. While I get home late this evening, I hope to make some time to sit down in front of my system, and see if I can connect the dots. Your guidance does look hopeful, and as for getting carried away, this may all help the next poor guy who comes along with similar questions.
I really do appreciate you taking the time for a response!

Tony

andrewNZ

Post by andrewNZ » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:44 pm

No problem :-)

Let is know how you go.

Edit: Number 2 is the issue.
On the off chance I didn't make this totally clear, the Mediaportal EPG is a mirror of the ARGUS TV EPG, so once you get it fixed in ARGUS TV, it'll be fixed in MediaPortal.
You can fix it, or you can fix it until it's broken. I usually choose the latter.

Server: WHS 2011. Hauppauge HVR 2200. Avermedia A835. ArgusTV Server. EPG Collector.
Clients: Win7 64bit. MediaPortal. ArgusTV Client. StreamedMP.