Missing Channels in Scan

Installing and setting up ARGUS TV
EdTheC

Missing Channels in Scan

Post by EdTheC » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:15 am

I am a newbie, so please forgive any outright newbie-ness :-)

Anyway, when performing a channel scan, it does not find some obvious channels like 2, 4, 5. It does find 7, 11 (I live in LA area). I've tried increasing the time to 20 seconds for the scan, and they still are not found. I am using the Happauge tuner in a PC (2250).

What is odd is that I am trying to move from WMC to XBMC. WMC has no trouble finding and showing the above mentioned channels. Neither does the supplied Happauge Win TV program. The signal strengths for these channels are all very good, so thats not the issue (as shown by the Happauge signal strength app).

So why aren't those channels being found/how can I get them added? Side note: I tried NextPVR as well, and it has the same issue.

TIA for any suggestions/ideas.

Christoph21x

Re: Missing Channels in Scan

Post by Christoph21x » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:32 am

Hi Ed
Which scanning freqs do you use in the dropdown? Are you using NIT-scanning or ¨normal¨ scan?
The simplest cause may be, that the frequencies, on which those channels reside, are not in Cables.xml.
If so - could you get a list from your provider? Then we could add it - and (if that´s the cause), the chans would be found.

By the way: welcome to Argus! :)

Greetz from Switzerland - Chris
"One must still have chaos within oneself, to give birth to a dancing star." (F. Nietzsche)

EdTheC

Post by EdTheC » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:08 pm

I use all frequencies in the drop down. I have tried both NIT and not. BTW, I am using an OTA (antenna) in the US. The scan reports (for example) that it is scanning channel 2, 4, etc but then "No signal" until it hits channel 7, and then lists the 3 stations associated with it.

This happens with NextPVR also. Yet the stations do come in fine using the TV's tuner, or other software like the supplied WinTV and WMC. I have checked the signal strength, those channels in question are strong according to the tuner.

I am not sure which xml file to edit in my case. Terrestrial? I looked at that file, and the Argus wiki, and it is not clear to me what the parameters are. Worse, it seems to be oriented towards satellite and no US channels? Any help here appreciated.

TIA

Christoph21x

Post by Christoph21x » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:22 pm

Hey Ed - are you using ATSC or Terrestrial?
"One must still have chaos within oneself, to give birth to a dancing star." (F. Nietzsche)

EdTheC

Post by EdTheC » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:33 pm

That's something I am not sure of - broadcast TV here in the US. I don't understand the difference between ATSC and terrestrial files. The supplied ATSC xml file has QAM in it (doesn't that have to do with cable? I dont use cable). The terrestrial xml has DVB stuff in it. Maybe this is the wrong info, but which file and does someone know of the right place to download one for the us?

TIA (once again!:)

andrewNZ

Post by andrewNZ » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:13 pm

As far as I'm aware, all terrestrial US television is ATSC not DVB-T. Additionally, the HVR 2250 card is for ATSC.
You can fix it, or you can fix it until it's broken. I usually choose the latter.

Server: WHS 2011. Hauppauge HVR 2200. Avermedia A835. ArgusTV Server. EPG Collector.
Clients: Win7 64bit. MediaPortal. ArgusTV Client. StreamedMP.

brucetp

Post by brucetp » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:24 pm

This is my exact issue too. I'm using the HDHR3-US ATSC. Nothing under channel 7. Can the frequencies be added? and where?

https://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2335