Upgrading to 2.3

Installing and setting up ARGUS TV
fishsticks

Upgrading to 2.3

Post by fishsticks » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:46 pm

I'm really excited 2.3 is released. I have read the instruction manual PDF in the download as well as the wikis which provide good instructions for installation but limited for upgrading, as this is my only system and I need to get things right the first time with minimal down time I wanted some community assistance. I'm certain some questions apply to others so hopefully useful to many people.

I plan to upgrade from Argus 2.2 + MP 1.5.0.0 to Argus 2.3 + MP 1.10.0.0. I prefer to keep the installation/upgrade cycle to 1 or 2 a year and given the many improvements in this major release I think this is a good time to upgrade to the latest and greatest.

1) What is the recommended approach? Apply upgrade, uninstall then install, or full install (including fresh OS)? My system is dedicated and a clean OS install is possible, although obviously not preferred.

Presuming full system reinstall really isn't necessary, are there some simple step-by-step instructions on upgrading? A bullet point list of what to do and in which order.

I will take a Windows system backup before doing anything and if I can't complete during the maintenance time will restore back to original.

2) I have a few questions on database.
i) I believe, but I am not certain, I'm using MYSQL. (I had tested using other recommended like MS SQL Server 2008 Express (R2) and found no performance drops so I think in the end I had kept it simple and just had Argus do MYSQL.) How can I check what Argus is using?
ii) I believe, but I am not certain, I changed the DB password. I don't want to be stuck during the installation cycle, how can I verify my user/pw before starting the upgrade/messing up current installation? Is there a command line of some sort I can use to guess/confirm my credentials?
iii) Any concerns in continuing to use MYSQL? (I haven't had any issues with current installation)

3) I understand the database carries through, so no need to (re)schedule. Is retuning necessary?

4) There is suggestion MP TV Server/Client component should be uninstalled. I've previously disabled the tuners (under "TV SERVERS" in the MP TV-SERVER CONFIGURATION tool. Is this still enough? (I prefer not to risk uninstalling MP components unless they will clash with Argus)

lisag

Re: Upgrading to 2.3

Post by lisag » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:05 pm

Hi, I am in a similar boat to you, and certainly no expert so whilst you are waiting for someone clever to come along, here's my take on it all :?

I have practiced the upgrade on a test machine, and won't get a chance to to do it for real until next week (one HTPC server, and 3 clients, all with custom skins, may take a while).

Firstly take a back up, which basically means copying the 'ProgramData' folder for both MediaPortal and Argus TV, and putting it somewhere safe. Also, I would suggest exporting out your schedules and alerts from Argus TV, just to be safe!

Usually I just run an upgrade to MediaPortal, but when I have tried this, it always overwrites the custom skin that I have, so I am going to completely uninstall it this time (on version 1.6) then reboot. This may not be necessary, but I have upgraded since version 1.2 and would like to have a 'clean start'. It also means that I can completely get rid of the MP Tv Server this time, by choosing during install that I want the client install only and will watch TV by connecting to another server.

Once the latest version is installed (1.10) install all the relevant plug ins, via MPEI or manually, as required. Now to get all the settings back you can just copy and paste the relevant files that you backed up from the 'ProgramData' folder, if you go through each folder / file it should be fairly obvious what each one does.. eg., in the database folders are all the databases for movingpictures, TVSeries, etc., In the folder called InputDeviceMappings is the xml file that has the configurations for the remote control, the thumbs folder will have all the thumbnail pictures, in the skin folder, will have all the skin settings, and the MediaPortal.xml file will have all of the configurations stored from your last install. After that, a quick look round the MediaPortal configuration tool to check for any new options that weren't available in your old version, and that all the plug ins are pretty much set how you want. Online Videos has changed quite a bit, so if you use that, you may need to get it set up right.

Then that should be it for the MediaPortal part (for one machine anyway). You can then have a check of it all and make any adjutsments as necessary.

Now for Argus TV, I am just planning to run the version 2.3 and when I tested it, it uninstalled the old version, then re-installed the new version and all of the settings were totally intact, and it added the new plug in to MediaPortal. You will have to remember your MySQL username and password though, as that will be needed during the install, if you haven't made a note of it you may be in trouble. I think the notifier and scheduler may need a little bit of attention to get it to auto connect each time and user name and password added.

fishsticks

Post by fishsticks » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:11 am

No takers?

fishsticks

Post by fishsticks » Sun May 10, 2015 2:59 am

approaching 6 months :(

fishsticks

Post by fishsticks » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:41 pm

Any guide before I attempt this? Unfortunately there is only an installation wiki, not upgrade and I had a few specific questions above.