no more satellite tv - is the lnb dead?... easy to replace?

Installing and setting up ARGUS TV
cybersheep

no more satellite tv - is the lnb dead?... easy to replace?

Post by cybersheep » Thu May 04, 2017 11:17 am

Hi All.

I've had Argus TV running for a few years now - it's hooked up to a TBS dual tuner DVB-S2 PCIE card, which in turn is hooked up to a Sky UK Zone 1 dish which was already on the house when moved in (2010) and I think has a quad LNB fitted. The coax from the dish to the LNB I installed myself approx 5 yrs ago so is presumably still in good condition.

About a year or two ago, I noticed that one of the feeds to the TBS card seemed to stop working, I don't think it is the TBS card itself as swapping the feeds over on the card showed that both tuners were still working. We're not big TV watchers, so a single input was sufficient and I didn't bother to investigate further.

About a week ago, I noticed that Argus hadn't recorded anything recently, I checked last night and it couldn't watch any live TV - it appears the second feed has now also stopped working, as Argus fails to tune to any channels now. I did a channel scan in argus TV last night, which found zero new channels - and I observed argus was mostly reporting signal strength of around 75% and quality seeminly alternating between 0% and about 95% Is 75% strength too low or is that acceptable? The fluctation of the quality implies to me issues recieving one of the polarities, but if that was the case would it not mean that half my channels would still work? (I'm unable to find any channels that work)

So, I guess my question is, does that sound like a dead LNB? and if so are they easy to replace - can I just pull the old one off and clip on a new one, or do I need a satellite meter or similar? Access to the dish is possible from a normal DIY type ladder, as luckily it's only about 3 meters off the ground. From some Googling, as far as I can tell it might be a "mk3" sky dish - the LNB fitted is branded Thmpson and has model number 13422.

Any advice appreciated

Cheers, Rich.

Kay Diefenthal

Re: no more satellite tv - is the lnb dead?... easy to repla

Post by Kay Diefenthal » Tue May 09, 2017 5:37 pm

to Change an defected LNB is no Magic
and everyone can do this if he she had not two left Hands

the only Thing is that you must know what Kind of LNB it is Singel, Dual, Quad or Quattro
and what Kind of mounting it has
https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Electronics- ... B004GOFY5C

to the entry question is it the LNB ?

Signal Level and Signal Quality should for every Band High-Horizental, High-Vertical, Low-Horizental, Low-Vertical
more than 65 Prozent have

this is an metering thing and can be setup elevation and Azimuth Values
the correct values for your Region can you find in the Internet

http://www.satsig.net/maps/satellite-tv ... reland.htm

cybersheep

Re: no more satellite tv - is the lnb dead?... easy to replace?

Post by cybersheep » Mon May 22, 2017 5:42 pm

hi Kay,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. That's reassuring advice that its not too hard. I managed to pick up a new Sky dish+LNB on Freegle (Freecyle), I also bought a small satellite meter, so I plan to replace the dish+lnb one day soon. (I gather that Sky dishes have various revisions with different clips etc and on top of that use a non-standard LNB, so its easier to just replace the whole thing)

Cheers, Rich.