iPhone/iPad iOS client (v0.26a)

Other clients written by the community
Caesium

iPhone/iPad iOS client (v0.26a)

Post by Caesium » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:18 am

This is an ARGUS TV client app for iOS (iPhone, iPod, iPad) 5.0+ devices.

Development Roadmap, in approximate order:
  • finish schedules (Directed By, Actors, Current Recordings)
  • colour coded EPG according to programme categories
  • light and dark switchable colour schemes
  • improve search to use complete schedule rule engine
  • show notifications when an upcoming programme alert is starting
When you start the app it'll ask for an Argus host/IP address and credentials and connect over SSL. Currently it remembers the credentials until they stop working and then it'll ask again. I'll probably add a force-forget somewhere when I find somewhere to put it, or an option not to remember at all?

Disclaimer: this app has not undergone Apple's approval system and is published using a so-called Enterprise Distribution key. When you download from the link below you'll be prompted to install Argus from "Bogons Ltd", this is the company I normally do iOS dev for and they've agreed to let me use it for this. Eventually I may put it on the App Store properly.
Disclaimer 2: this version is a bit light on the error checking so unexpected things may crash the app, reports appreciated.

Please note this app requires iOS6.1 or later!

https://www.cae.me.uk/projects/argus

Source: https://github.com/celsworth/argus
Last edited by Caesium on Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:38 pm, edited 37 times in total.

Caesium

Re: Apple iPhone/iPad FTR client underway

Post by Caesium » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:19 am

Reserved for potential future use :D

Steph

Post by Steph » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:36 am

Caesium wrote: I'll put some test builds out when it starts getting useful that you can play with. I plan to support iPad, hopefully with more functional screens, probably a split-screen layout.
Very cool !

dot-i
Site Admin

Post by dot-i » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:14 am

This is very exciting news! :D
I have the heart of a child. I keep it in a jar on my shelf. -- Robert Bloch

dlarge500

Post by dlarge500 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:53 am

ooooh my Eyes are shining. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Very Very nice, i`ll be waiting for a Testversion.

greetz

dlarge
MayaHD...a light skin for Mediaportal
Titan...a professional skin for Mediaportal
Mustayaluca...a professional skin for Mediaportal

nordemoniac

Post by nordemoniac » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:54 pm

Wow! That's just awesome :D
Well, I already have posted my wishes and suggestions :lol:

Caesium

Post by Caesium » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:43 am

Taster build up. Pretty limited functionality so far but you can use it to see what's on :)

First post updated. Probably do the Schedules and Status next, they're there but empty.

nordemoniac

Post by nordemoniac » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:02 am

Thank you for doing this! I didn't think anyone would start this quickly :)
-Regarding the settings; I think it's much better to just have it under iPhone settings. You'd usually only touch these settings once anyways.
-I can see that the groups are only the channel lists made by the user, and not the global "all channels". For me, this is exactly how I want it, as I never use the complete channel list (I don't have all those channels). This is in my opinion how FTR should handle it in both Web access and MMC (being able to hide the hard coded "All Channels" if wanted.)
-One thing; This is not SSL, port 49943 is "unsecure" as anyone with the correct URL could connect to your server.
49941 should be the way to go when using a mobile device externally. On a LAN it's OK.
Of course, it's unlikely that someone will try, but still...
-How will you handle language translations?

The next question is more FTR-related; Should we try making a better logo than just the record-button? The whole FTR logo is nice, but the small icon/logos aren't that nice in my opinion. What do you think? I'm thinking a small color-TV or something.

Caesium

Post by Caesium » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:55 pm

nordemoniac,

- I agree about the settings, my only concern was if there's a setting that you might need to change more frequently, it would have to go in-app. Then there would be confusion over where to look for a given setting, either in the iPhone settings or the app settings, but so far the problem hasn't reared it's head.
- The All Channels group looks like a bit of a pain, I think it would be a special case to get that.. I'm just working off the results of /Scheduler/ChannelGroups/0 at the moment (yeah, hardcoded to TV for now). All Channels doesn't appear in there at all so if anyone wanted that it'd be another request to get it I think. I don't think many people would use All Channels, Channel Groups are much nicer to work with. If anyone asks I'll have a look at doing it though.
- SSL will be in the next version, that's working, along with authentication.
- Translations, good point. I've looked into how iPhone apps handle this and it doesn't look too tricky, would you be willing to supply some translated strings? Anyway the answer is it's doable for sure.

As to the logo, definitely, the red record button doesn't look great in the icon.. Need a volunteer, I'm no good at art :)

nordemoniac

Post by nordemoniac » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:37 pm

Regarding the all channel group, it shouldn't be there. That was one of my plusses!! Dot-i was talking about removing it from the web also. I would want it removed in MMC as well. :)
When it comes to the icon, we should maybe create a common one for FTR? I can see if I have the time to fix something up :)
Translation strings? Sure! I can translate to Norwegian.