BlackGold BGT3650 and Argus TV compatibility

The built-in ARGUS TV recorder for digital TV
marcelmah

BlackGold BGT3650 and Argus TV compatibility

Post by marcelmah » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:58 pm

Hi,

I'm switching from W7 WMC x64 with an AnyseeE30 Plus (Digitenne (NL)) to XBMC 12, Argus TV, SMARGO with Delta digitale TV Irdeto - OSCam - ACamd) and 4 DVB-C tuners (if it works I will make the switch to Windows 8 x64).

For the tuners I was waiting on the DigitalDevices DuoFlex (this needs extra DuoFlex to get to the 4 tuners!) to come available, but it keeps getting delayed (had several mail conversations). So I went to search for other devices and found one that looks even better (in theory). The BlackGold BGT3650 is a PCIe half-height (can also be normal with other bracket which is supplied) 4 tuner DVB-T(2) and DVB-C tuner with only one antenna connector. Unfortunately I'm not sure if it will work with Argus TV...

The pros and cons of the BlackGold BGT3650 versus a 4 tuner DigitalDevices DuoFlex setup:

+ Less then half the price
+ Only one input necassary (DuoFlex v2 can loop to the next DuoFlex)
+ Takes up less space (1 half-height versus 3 half-height or 2 full-height slots)
+ No extra power cables needed as all comes from PCIe interface (DuoFlex needs floppy power connector, so in my case I need to extra power connectors and it uses a PCIe slot for the bridge)
+ No need for extra flat cables to connect the DuoFlex to the bridge card which can obstruct airflow
? No Ci support but should not need it because of the SMARGO - OSCam - ACamd sollution
? In the text on the website it says 4 DVB-T and dual DVB-C, but in the manual it says 4 either way... think it's a typo but E-mailed them just to be sure
- No official support for Argus
- No Windows 8 drivers (as far as I know, but also send them an E-mail to check)

Anyone that has any experience with BlackGold tuners and this one specifically or can dot-i 'promise' support (if technically possible) if I buy one? (I'm an IT guy so can help with a lot just can't program :(.

I think this would be a perfect hardware device for a lot of MediaCenter devices if it would be supported...

PS. I already have OSCam (latest version) reading the SMARGO and the Delta digitale TV Irdeto card and ACamd connecting to it when I request a channel from XBMC with Argus TV as backend... it won't work because the tuner is still DVB-T and so are the channels, but the connection between everything is up and running!
Last edited by marcelmah on Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Windows 8 x64, Kodi 15.2, Argus TV 2.3, TBS3102 5 cardreader with Delta digitale TV, OSCam and ACamd using 4 Digital Devices DVB-C tuners (Octopus v3 and two x DuoFlex v2)

Caesium

Re: BlackGold BGT6350 and Argus TV compatibility

Post by Caesium » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:33 am

I use a pair of 3620s and they're absolutely fine. The 3650 is just another BDA device isn't it so I can't see issues :)

andrewNZ

Post by andrewNZ » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:36 am

I have no experience with these cards. But I was looking at them a while back also.
The reviews I read suggested they're inferior to their dual tuner predecessor. I seem to remember problems with signal quality, due to the card splitting the signal 4 ways. If I remember correctly, 2 dual tuner BG cards worked significantly better than a quad tuner BG card.

I thought the DigitalNow cards had a fairly good reputation. But again, I have no experience with them.
You can fix it, or you can fix it until it's broken. I usually choose the latter.

Server: WHS 2011. Hauppauge HVR 2200. Avermedia A835. ArgusTV Server. EPG Collector.
Clients: Win7 64bit. MediaPortal. ArgusTV Client. StreamedMP.

marcelmah

Post by marcelmah » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:45 am

andrewNZ wrote:I have no experience with these cards. But I was looking at them a while back also.
The reviews I read suggested they're inferior to their dual tuner predecessor. I seem to remember problems with signal quality, due to the card splitting the signal 4 ways. If I remember correctly, 2 dual tuner BG cards worked significantly better than a quad tuner BG card.

I thought the DigitalNow cards had a fairly good reputation. But again, I have no experience with them.
I need DVB-C not T... my signal should be good as it's all high quality from Hirschmann and from the wall outlet (where it enters my house) to the server is only 1 meter. All F connectors (even the cable modem splitter).

Do you have those reviews?
Windows 8 x64, Kodi 15.2, Argus TV 2.3, TBS3102 5 cardreader with Delta digitale TV, OSCam and ACamd using 4 Digital Devices DVB-C tuners (Octopus v3 and two x DuoFlex v2)

marcelmah

Re: BlackGold BGT3650 and Argus TV compatibility

Post by marcelmah » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:27 pm

Just recieved a reply:

Dear Sir

Due to considerable sales demand we there’s no stock of the BGT3650 available from BlackGold or our distributors. We are expecting new stock in the second half of February. If you require a product solution sooner we recommend you use 2pcs BGT3620. (Note if you select this option we will refund the price difference with regard to a BGT3650).

The BGT3650 (or 2pcs BGT3620) supports 4 hybrid tuners that may be operated as 4 DVB-T/T2 tuners or 4 DVB-C tuners.

The tuners are internally link with active splitters. The signal difference between any tuner is less than 0.4dBm therefore you will not see any operational difference.

A Windows 8 driver release is scheduled for next month.

Best regards,

BlackGold Support

marcelmah

Re: BlackGold BGT3650 and Argus TV compatibility

Post by marcelmah » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:03 am

WOW, just found this thread again when searching for something else... their website still sais the BGT3650 isen't available.

I recommend staying away from this company!

Sorry for thread bump!